ICBC Basic Autoplan insurance helps ensure that you and all British Columbians who own and drive a motor vehicle in B.C. are protected with a basic level of coverage.
You can also choose to buy extra coverage for you, your family and your car with Optional Autoplan products.
How Basic Autoplan protects you
Third-Party Liability coverage protects you when you’re at fault in a crash and another motorist makes a claim against you. Your Basic Autoplan covers up to $200,000 of their injury costs and vehicle damage.
Many people choose to buy Extension Third-Party Liability coverage for added protection. You can select extra coverage that protects you for claim costs up to $5 million.
Autoplan Accident Benefits help you, your passengers and members of your household with medical costs, wage loss and more if you’re injured in a motor vehicle crash, even if you’re at fault.
To help you on the road to recovery, Accident Benefits provide up to $150,000 in medical and rehabilitation costs. This could include costs like hospital care, chiropractic treatments, dental care, medication, physiotherapy, medical equipment and more.
Even if the person who’s responsible for a crash doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for your claim, you’re protected. It covers:
- You and members of your household when you own or lease a vehicle.
- A crash or death if any of these people are injured or killed in a motor vehicle as a driver, passenger, or as a pedestrian or cyclist.
- Claims of up to $1 million per person.
Many people buy Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection to increase that protection to $2 million.
This protection for you and your vehicle is available to every B.C. resident, even if you don't own or insure a vehicle. If you're eligible, the $200,000 coverage applies to damage, injuries or death.
This protects you in parts of Canada or the U.S. where local laws don't let you claim against the person who caused your crash. Your vehicle repair costs are covered up to 100 per cent (less if you were partly at fault for the crash). For example, if you were 25 per cent at fault, you'll receive 75 per cent of the cost of repairing your car.
For more details on what Basic Autoplan covers, talk to your Autoplan broker or see the ICBC Autoplan Insurance brochure.
What could affect your Basic Autoplan coverage
Here are some things you can do to help ensure your coverage stays valid:
- Your vehicle must be rated correctly. It’s important that you tell your broker how you use your vehicle (that is, your rate class), and who will be driving it the majority of the time.
- If you have a claim, provide correct information.
- Never drive if your driver’s licence is expired or suspended, and make sure that anyone who drives your vehicle has a valid driver's licence.
- Don’t drive when you’re impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Be aware your Basic Autoplan insurance only covers you in Canada and the U.S.