Find a location

Cancelling insurance

Our most important tip if you need to cancel your policy is to treat your licence plates like cash—they're linked directly to your insurance.

Return the plates to your Autoplan broker who'll guide you through the steps and let you know if you qualify for a refund. The sooner you cancel your plates and insurance, the more you'll get back.*

(If you're on a payment plan, try to cancel at least one day before your payment is due so you don't get hit with an unexpected withdrawal.)

Cancelling your policy after selling your vehicle

When you sell your vehicle, keep your licence plates and insurance papers because you’ll need to take these to your Autoplan broker.

Hold on to a copy of your bill of sale or the transfer of ownership form for your records.

Tell your broker that you’ve sold your vehicle as soon as you’re able to so that you can discuss what options you have with your plates and insurance.

Your broker may recommend that you cancel your plates and insurance or transfer them to a new vehicle if you plan on replacing it soon.

Cancelling your policy if your vehicle is a write-off

If your vehicle is damaged beyond repair or is a write-off as a result of either a collision or comprehensive claim, we will pay you its actual cash value and give the vehicle licence plates back to you.

When you have your plates, please cancel your policy as soon as you can or transfer it to a new vehicle. You can discuss your options in detail with your Autoplan broker.

Cancelling your policy if you lease the vehicle

To cancel the insurance on a vehicle you're leasing, contact the leasing company. Since the leasing company actually owns the vehicle, you’ll need its permission to cancel the insurance.

Cancelling your policy outside of B.C.

When you're outside B.C., write a letter to cancel your insurance policy and provide

  • your licence plate number, signature, new address and new phone number
  • your Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence (keep the bottom part because you’ll need it to register your vehicle outside of B.C.)
  • your B.C. licence plates or a receipt to show that you have handed them into a licensing authority outside B.C., and
  • a photocopy of your new registration document if you have already registered your vehicle outside B.C.

Send the letter to:

ICBC - Cancellations
Room 205 - 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver BC  V7M 3H9

Cancelling a policy if the registered owner passes away

Have you lost a loved one who was the registered owner of a vehicle?

Please be aware that it's important to contact your broker as soon as you can. Your broker will help you cancel or change the policy.

The sooner you cancel your plates and insurance, the more you'll get back (if a refund is due).

Transferring ownership of the vehicle »

Cancelling a driver's licence when someone has passed away »

Cancelling your policy early

If you need to cancel your insurance policy for any reason before it expires, you are likely eligible for a refund. The amount of your refund may depend on

  • the time remaining on the policy term
  • any outstanding debt, and
  • non-refundable fees.

The sooner you cancel your plates and insurance, the more you'll get back.

Questions? Contact us

Still not finding an answer to your question? Your Autoplan broker can help, or you can call us:

Lower Mainland: 604-661-2800
Elsewhere in B.C., Canada and the U.S.: 1-800-663-3051

*A cancellation fee may apply. Please see your Autoplan broker for details.

 If you