Find a location

Cancelling your insurance

Our most important tip if you need to cancel your Autoplan policy is to treat your licence plates like cash—they're linked directly to your insurance. 

If you're cancelling your insurance, return the licence plates to your Autoplan broker. The sooner you cancel your plates and insurance, the more you may get back if you're eligible for a refund. A cancellation fee may apply.

The refund amount depends on:

Payment plan customers

If you're on a payment plan, try to cancel at least one day before your payment is due. Depending on your situation, there may be an additional withdrawal from your account to cover any missed payments or non-refundable fees. Your Autoplan broker can answer any questions you may have about your cancellation. 

Cancelling your policy after selling your vehicle

When you sell your vehicle, visit your local Autoplan broker as soon as possible. Take the licence plates and your insurance papers. Your broker may recommend that you cancel your plates and insurance, or transfer them to a new vehicle if that's a better option for you. 

Keep a copy of your bill of sale or the transfer of ownership form for your records.

Cancelling your policy if your vehicle is a write-off

Take your licence plates and insurance papers to your local Autoplan broker and find out the best option for you. You may want to cancel the Autoplan policy, or transfer it to another vehicle. 

Cancelling your policy if you lease the vehicle

Contact the leasing company. Since the leasing company actually owns the vehicle, you’ll need its permission to cancel the insurance.

Cancelling your policy outside of B.C.

How to cancel your insurance from outside B.C. depends on whether you still have your B.C. licence plates.

If you still have your B.C. plates, mail them to us along with:

  • a signed letter requesting the cancellation. Include your licence plate number, new address and new phone number.
  • your Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence (keep the bottom part, the "vehicle registration," because you'll need it to register your vehicle outside of B.C.)
  • a photocopy of your new registration document, if you've already registered your vehicle outside of B.C.

Mail the letter and plates to:

ICBC - Cancellations
Room 205 - 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver BC  V7M 3H9

If you surrendered your licence plates in B.C., or to a licensing authority outside B.C., send us:

  • a signed letter requesting the cancellation that includes your licence plate number, new address and new phone number,
  • a copy of the receipt to show that you have surrendered your plates to a licensing authority outside B.C., if you didn't surrender them in B.C.

Mail this information to the address above, or fax it to 604-661-6727.

Note: if you send a fax, it must show an out-of-province area code.

Cancelling a policy if the registered owner passes away

Have you lost a loved one who was the registered owner of a vehicle?

Please be aware that it's important to contact your local Autoplan broker as soon as you can. Your broker will help you cancel or change the policy.

The sooner you cancel the licence plates and insurance, the more you'll get back (if a refund is due).

Your Autoplan broker can help you determine what estate documentation you'll need to cancel the insurance, make changes to the policy or transfer ownership of the vehicle.

Transferring ownership of the vehicle »

Cancelling a driver's licence when someone has passed away »

Questions? Contact us

Still not finding an answer to your question? Your Autoplan broker can help, or contact us.