Find a location


Whether you’re moving to B.C. (welcome!), leaving the province or just moving around the corner, here’s what you need to know.  


Moving to B.C.

Mark your calendar…

Moving to BC

* Commercial vehicles must be registered/licensed/insured immediately.

How to get your vehicle insured

Before you can insure your vehicle in B.C., there are a few steps you need to take.

Learn more about importing a vehicle into B.C. »

When you have the documents you need, visit any Autoplan broker. There are more than 900 offices in B.C. to help you.

You can find more information about moving to B.C. in our FAQs. You can also visit any Autoplan broker or contact our customer service department who will be pleased to help!

Insurance discount

Have you been driving claim-free for more than a year? If so, you may be eligible for a discount on your ICBC Autoplan insurance.

Insurance discount for new B.C. residents »

Moving from B.C.

Are you moving away from B.C., or working or studying outside the province for a while? Be sure you and your vehicle are still protected.

Find out the rules in your new location

Contact an insurance agent or the motor vehicle authority in the place you're moving to. Some places require you to register, licence and insure your vehicle as soon as you arrive there.

Visit your Autoplan broker

Before you leave B.C., go to any Autoplan broker to update your insurance.

Your Autoplan insurance policy must always show your current address and vehicle use. If it doesn't, you may not be covered if you have a claim.

Get your driving record and claims history

To get your driving record, visit a driver licensing office, or contact us. See Your driving record for details.

For a copy of your claim record, contact us (general enquiries number). Please have your contact information ready.

Moving within B.C.

There are lots of details to look after when you're moving, even if it's not a long distance. Remember to make your Autoplan insurance one of your to-do items.

Updating your insurance

Your Autoplan insurance policy must always show your current address (location) and vehicle use. If your policy isn’t up-to-date, you might not be covered if you have a claim.

Before you move, be sure to update your insurance. You can do this at any Autoplan broker.

Work or study in another location

If you're temporarily relocating to study or work (or any other reason), you probably need to update your insurance.

Important: If your policy information isn't up to date, you might not be covered if you have a claim.

Tourists, students and military personnel

If you're just driving in B.C. as a tourist, you can drive with your existing insurance for up to six months—as long as you have a valid out-of-province driver’s licence and your vehicle is properly licensed in your home jurisdiction.

If you're a student from outside B.C. and enrolled full-time at a recognized B.C. educational institutionexternal link, or if you're a member of the armed forces on temporary (six months or less) assignment in B.C. for training:

  • you don't need to get a B.C. driver's licence, provided your out-of-province driver's licence is valid, and
  • you may apply to be exempted from B.C. vehicle registration and licensing rules, as long as your vehicle is properly registered, licensed and insured in your home jurisdiction.

Apply for the exemption

To apply for an exemption permit and windshield sticker, contact us:

  • B.C. Lower Mainland: 604-443-4624 
  • Toll free: 1-800-665-4336

You need to apply within 30 days of arriving in B.C.

Once you receive the exemption, whenever you're driving here:

  • Carry the permit, plus your driver's licence and proof of vehicle registration, and
  • Have the windshield sticker affixed to the lower right corner of your windshield.