Find a location

Driving outside of B.C.

Taking a road trip? Are you a snowbird heading south for the winter? Here's how to stay protected on the road. 

Drive outside BC

You're covered in Canada and the U.S. on vacation

Your Autoplan insurance covers you anywhere in Canada and the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. As long as you're only using your car for vacation purposes outside B.C., and the place you are visiting doesn't require you to register or license there, you don't need to change your insurance policy.

When to call your Autoplan broker

If you're mixing travel with business, you may need to change your coverage. Also, if your vehicle is outside of B.C. and it won't be operated in B.C. at any point during your insurance policy period, then you will need to register, licence and insure your vehicle where you're living or visiting.

Check with your Autoplan broker for details on your specific situation.

Keep your insurance and driver's licence current

Make sure to check the expiry date on your insurance before you leave. If it expires while you're out of B.C. and you're involved in a crash, you won't be covered. You can renew your insurance before you leave.

If you're outside B.C., you may be able to renew your insurance by calling our Autoplan Sales department at 1-800-328-4484, Monday to Friday, between 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

You can also renew your driver's licence up to six months before it expires at any driver licensing office. If you find yourself outside of B.C. when your licence expires, call Driver Licensing:

  • 1-800-950-1498 (Canada and continental USA)
  • 250-978-8300 (other locations)

Extra protection for travelling

Many people choose to increase their Third-Party Liability coverage if they're travelling, especially in the U.S. And Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection could be a good way to protect you and members of your household from the cost of injuries caused by another driver who doesn't have enough insurance.

The RoadStar and Roadside Plus packages also include great coverages for extra protection while you're travelling.

Outside Canada and the U.S.

Your Autoplan insurance doesn't cover you outside of Canada and the U.S. If you're driving to Mexico or beyond, talk to your ICBC Autoplan broker about your options for coverage.


Refunding your Autoplan premium

If you're outside of Canada and the U.S. for more than 30 continuous days, you may be able to get a refund of the Autoplan premium you paid while you were away.

To apply for a refund, you'll need to provide:

  • Proof of the dates your vehicle entered and exited the other country. You can use an importation document (a Mexican Banjercito Receiptexternal link, for example), gasoline receipts, camping receipts or hotel receipts that show your vehicle's VIN, registration number or plate number


  • Proof that your vehicle was continuously outside Canada or the U.S. for 30 days or more. You can use a photocopy of a foreign insurance policy, or the receipts listed above.

Mail your documents to:

Customer Service
151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, B.C.  V7M 3H9


Contact us. We accept collect calls.