Apply for an enhanced licence or ID
If you're travelling to the U.S. by land or water, the enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or enhanced ID (EIC) is a great alternative to a passport. It's convenient, inexpensive, and gives you access to a faster Ready Lane at certain border crossing points.
For air travel to the US and internationally, a passport is still required.
Choosing between an EDL and EIC
Read through the benefits to see which card is better for you. Please note that you can't have both an EDL and an EIC.
|Proof of identity and citizenship||X||X|
|Access to a faster Ready Lane||X||X|
|Less expensive than a passport for travel to the U.S. by land or water||X||X|
|Security features to prevent fraud and identity theft||X||X|
|Can also be used as your B.C. driver's licence||X||
|Available to children 12 and older||X|
Available if you have a driving prohibition or licence suspension
|Available if you don't drive||X|
BC Services card not available to combine with EDL or EIC
Six steps to getting your EDL or EIC
The most important thing to do when applying for an EDL or EIC is to read the guide. It contains all of the information you need.
To apply, follow these six steps:
- Read Your Guide to B.C.'s Enhanced Driver's Licence Program (PDF).
- Confirm you meet all the requirements (pages 3-4).
- Book your application appointment either online or over the phone (page 12).
- Use the application checklist to prepare for your appointment (page 18).
- Attend your appointment at one of ICBC's designated EDL/EIC driver
licensing centres to complete your application (pages 13-14).
- Once you receive your enhanced card, activate it online or by phone within 30 days from the card activation date printed on the letter you receive with your card (page 20).
Some Canadian Citizenship Certificates are not accepted
Due to a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) change, anyone using a Canadian Citizenship Certificate issued on or after Feb. 1, 2012 as ID can't apply for or renew an EDL or EIC.
ICBC is working with CIC and we hope to be able to accept this document in the future. Please check back for updates. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Changing your licence class
You will need to reapply for an EDL each time you apply for a different class of driver's licence.
- If your current licence expires within six months and you upgrade to an EDL, your new EDL will be valid for five years.
- If your current licence expires more than six months from now, you can still upgrade to an EDL. The expiry date will be the same as your current licence.
Changing your name or address
You will need to reapply for an EDL or EIC every time you change your name or address.