Tips for selling your vehicle
You can do a lot to help sell your vehicle faster and get a better deal. The better prepared you are, the more confidence the buyer will have.
Preparing your vehicle for sale
Here are some ways to get your vehicle ready.
- Research the value of your vehicle by comparing it to other vehicles for sale on auto websites and in newspapers. Also, ask several mechanics how much they would pay for it.
- Gather all receipts for after-market purchases, maintenance, repairs and AirCare. The buyer may want to look at these.
- Buy a vehicle history report to show potential buyers.
- Have the vehicle inspected at a designated inspection facility. To find one near you, see the list of inspection facilities posted on the B.C. government's Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement website.
- Clean your vehicle inside and out.
- Make sure you have the necessary documents to transfer ownership.
Advertising and promotion
Ready to put your vehicle on the market? You can get the word out many ways, such as:
- Advertising your vehicle online and in newspapers.
- Puttting a For Sale sign in your vehicle. (Here's one you can download and print.)
- Telling your friends, family and neighbours.
- Posting notices at your local community centre, library or university.
Protect yourself from scams
If you're inviting potential buyers to your home to look at the vehicle, it's a good idea to have someone with you.
When you sell, we recommend accepting only cash or a bank draft—not a personal cheque.