Rules for using motorized wheelchairs
- You don’t need a driver’s licence to drive a motorized wheelchair.
- Vehicle registration, licence plates and insurance are also not required.
- Motorized wheelchairs can be used on sidewalks or roads, following the same rules as pedestrians.
A motorized wheelchair may only be operated for the purposes for which it was designed.
Safety tips for driving motorized wheelchairs
- Ride only where it's safe, following the same rules and guidelines as pedestrians.
- Use courtesy and think safety.
- Drive at the same speed as other pedestrian traffic.
- Be extra cautious of possible traffic as you approach driveways and lanes.
- Try to avoid sudden turns.
Avoid using your motorized wheelchair if you're taking any medication, drugs or alcohol that may affect your skills or judgement.