Find a location


Do I have to register my snowmobile?

All snowmobiles must be registered, no matter what they're used for or where they're used. 

To register your snowmobile, go to any driver licensing office.*

When it's registered, you'll be issued two reflective decals and a certificate of registration. The decals must be displayed on both sides of the snowmobile.

*Note: The Burnaby Metrotown location does not offer snowmobile registrations. All other offices offer registration during regular office hours, up to 4:30 pm.

Do I need licence plates and insurance?

Restricted licence plate for snowmobiles

You must license and insure your snowmobile or snow vehicle if you drive on a highway, cross a highway, or drive in a parking lot. After registering it, you can apply for a licence and insurance by visiting an ICBC Autoplan broker.

Your snowmobile or snow vehicle will be issued a restricted licence plate, to show that its use on a highway is limited.

Operation Permit

In addition to registration, licensing, and insurance, a police issued Operation Permit is sometimes required.

You'll need a permit if you use your snowmobile or snow vehicle

The permit tells you where and when you can drive on or cross a highway. It must be kept with your vehicle at all times.

Crossing a highway without a permit

A permit is not always required for crossing a highway.

To cross without a permit, you must make a perpendicular (direct) crossing at

Getting a permit

For more information about operation permits, or to get one for your snowmobile or snow vehicle, please contact your local law enforcement agency.

More information

For more information, contact us:



ICBC Vehicle Registration Support
Room 235 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, B.C. 
V7M 3H9