ICBC speakers connecting with Island youth to prevent crashes and save lives during grad season
April 4, 2017
For the 20th year, ICBC's road safety speakers are touring B.C. high schools to share their own heart-wrenching stories with students to remind them of the tragic and life-changing consequences of taking risks while driving.
On average, three youth (aged 16 to 21) are killed and 940 injured in crashes each year on Vancouver Island.*
"Car crashes remain the number one preventable cause of death for youth in B.C.," said Aileen Shibata, ICBC road safety program manager. "Our road safety speakers share their personal, heartbreaking stories to get teens talking about the dangers of taking risks behind the wheel and help them make safer choices."
ICBC is committed to supporting youth in developing strong decision-making skills on the road to help prevent crashes and save lives. Over the past two decades, ICBC's road safety speakers have been sharing their stories with approximately 50,000 B.C. high school students every year.
You can find video clips of the speakers and more details on their presentations on icbc.com. ICBC also invests in various road safety programs for students including K-10 school curriculum and B.C.'s graduated licensing program.
Editor's Note: Media are invited to the following upcoming presentations on Vancouver Island with speakers Kevin Brooks and Heidi Cave.
- April 4 – Edward Milne Community School, Sooke, Heidi Cave at 2:10 p.m.
- April 5 – Royal Bay Secondary, Victoria, Heidi Cave at 9 a.m.
- April 5 – Spectrum Community, Victoria, Heidi Cave at 12:15 p.m.
- April 6 – Oak Bay Secondary, Heidi Cave at 8:30 a.m
- May 3 – Brentwood College, Mill Bay, Kevin Brooks at 6:15 p.m.
- May 3 – Chemainus Secondary, Kevin Brooks at 9 a.m.
- May 3 – Frances Kelsey Secondary, Mill Bay, Kevin Brooks at 12:42 p.m.
- May 9 – Lake Cowichan Secondary, Kevin Brooks at 2:17 p.m.
- May 10 – Cowichan Secondary, Duncan, Kevin Brooks at 9 a.m.
- May 12 – Pacific Christian School, Victoria, Kevin Brooks at 10 a.m.
- April 3 - Port Hardy Secondary, Kevin Brooks at 8:55 a.m.
- April 3 - North Island Secondary, Port McNeill, Kevin Brooks at 1:15 p.m.
- April 4 – Carihi Secondary, Campbell River, Kevin Brooks at 1:35 p.m.
- April 5 – Campbell River Christian School, Kevin Brooks at 9 a.m.
- April 5 - Gold River Secondary, Kevin Brooks at 1 p.m.
- April 6 – Georges P. Vanier Secondary, Courtenay, Kevin Brooks at 2 p.m.
- April 7 – Mark R. Isfeld Senior Secondary, Courtenay, Kevin Brooks at 10:30 a.m.
- April 10 – Alberni District Senior Secondary, Port Alberni, Kevin Brooks at 2 p.m.
- April 10 – Ucluelet Secondary, Kevin Brooks at 8:30 a.m.
- April 11 – Ballenas Secondary, Parksville, Kevin Brooks at 12:30 p.m.
- April 11 – Kwalikum Secondary, Qualicum Beach, Kevin Brooks at 10 a.m.
- April 12 – Nanaimo District Senior Secondary, Kevin Brooks at 12:30 p.m.
Please contact ICBC road safety coordinators, Colleen Woodger, at 250-414-7843 (for southern Vancouver Island) or Caroline Robinson at 250-390-5505 (mid-and-north Island) to confirm event 24 hours prior to attending, as dates and times are subject to changes. Please check in at the school upon arriving for a presentation.
*Note: Police-reported data based on the five-year average from 2011 to 2015.