Find a Service Location

​Insurance and licensing requirements for ride-hailing

The provincial government has introduced legislation which lays the foundation for ride-hailing services, such as Uber and Lyft, to enter the B.C. market. Read the government announcement.

ICBC will continue to work with government on the details of insurance products and licensing requirements, with the aim of ride-hailing being in place by fall of 2019.

What will I need to drive for a ride-hailing service?

You will need to ensure you have the correct licensing and insurance requirements to operate safely and protect yourself and your passengers in the event of a crash.


As of fall 2019, ICBC will sell a blanket insurance certificate to the ride-hailing company; not the individual drivers. This means you will be covered by the ride-hailing company’s insurance when you are using your vehicle to provide ride-hailing services. (Your own insurance applies in other instances.)

The blanket insurance certificate will ensure anytime a British Columbian travels in a ride-hailing vehicle they have the peace of mind that the drivers and passengers are protected with the proper insurance in the event of a crash.

Driver's licence requirements

Currently, people carrying passengers for hire are required to have a commercial driver's licence, meaning at least a Class 4 (restricted) licence. ICBC is awaiting confirmation of licence requirements for ride-hailing.