Autoplan insurance

Find a Service Location


Whether you're moving to B.C. (welcome!), leaving the province or just moving around the corner, here's what you need to know.


     Moving to B.C.

    Moving to B.C.

    You have 30 days* to register, license and insure your vehicle after arriving in B.C.

    You have 90 days to switch to a B.C. driver's licence.

    *Commercial vehicles must be registered/licensed/insured immediately.

    How to get your vehicle insured

    Before you can insure your vehicle in B.C., there are a few steps you need to take.

    Learn more about importing a vehicle into B.C.

    When you have the documents you need, visit any Autoplan broker. There are more than 900 offices in B.C. to help you.

    You can find more information about moving to B.C. in our FAQs. You can talk to any Autoplan broker, or contact us. We'll be pleased to help!

    Insurance discount

    Have you been driving claim-free for more than a year? If so, you may be eligible for a discount on your Autoplan insurance.

    Insurance discount for new B.C. residents

     Students, military personnel and tourists

    Insurance for students, military personnel and tourists

    If you're just driving in B.C. as a tourist, you can drive with your existing insurance for up to six months — as long as you have a valid out-of-province driver’s licence and your vehicle is properly licensed in your home jurisdiction.

    You may be eligible for an exemption from licensing and insuring your vehicle in B.C. if:

    • you are a member of Canada's armed forces stationed in B.C. for training for up to six months OR  

    • you are a student enrolled full-time at any one of B.C. post- secondary institutions and/or Government of Canada designated educational institutions AND

    • your vehicle is properly registered, licensed and insured in your home jurisdiction. You’ll need to apply within 30 days of arriving in B.C.

    To apply for the exemption:

    1. Contact ICBC’s specialty licensing department to request the exemption package (1-800-665-4336).

    2. Contact your insurance provider and ask that a representative send a completed BC Financial Responsibility Certificate (MV23) to ICBC that verifies your ongoing coverage.

    3. Start collecting the documentation you’ll need to send in with your application package:

        • An official letter of enrollment from your academic institution (stating you are a full-time student with the start and end date of school year or semester) or, for military personnel, a letter from your Commanding Officer indicating you’re on temporary assignment in B.C.

        • A copy of your vehicle registration and/or certificate of title showing the current expiry date.

    4. Once you receive the exemption package, you’ll fill out these forms:

        • Application for Exemption from Autoplan Insurance (MV1520).

        • Combined Certificate of Registration of a Non-Resident Motor Vehicle and Insurance Certificate (APV97).

        • A credit card authorization form for $30 filing fee.

    5. Mail the package (5 pieces of documentation) back to ICBC.

    6. Once processed and approved, we’ll mail you your B.C. permit and decal.

    Once you receive the exemption, whenever you're driving here:

    • Carry the permit, plus your driver's licence and proof of vehicle registration, and
    • Have the windshield sticker affixed to the lower right corner of your windshield.

     Moving from B.C.

    Moving from B.C.

    Are you moving away from B.C., or working or studying outside the province for a while? Be sure you and your vehicle are still protected.

    Find out the rules in your new location

    Contact an insurance agent or the motor vehicle authority in the place you're moving to. Some places require you to register, license and insure your vehicle as soon as you arrive there.

    Visit your Autoplan broker

    Before you leave B.C., go to any Autoplan broker to update your insurance.

    Your Autoplan insurance policy must always show your current address and vehicle use. If it doesn't, you may not be covered if you have a claim.

    Get your driving records

    You can easily apply for your driving records online. Once you’ve completed the application, you’ll receive an email with the reports free of charge.

     Moving within B.C.

    Moving within B.C.

    There are lots of details to look after when you're moving, even if it's not a long distance. Remember to make your Autoplan insurance one of your to-do items.

    Updating your insurance

    Your Autoplan insurance policy must always show your current home ​address and vehicle use.​ If your policy isn't up-to-date, you might not be covered if you have a claim. 

    Visit any Autoplan broker to change your home address on your insurance.

     Temporarily relocating

    Temporarily relocating

    If you're temporarily relocating to study or work (or any other reason), you probably need to update your insurance. Talk to your Autoplan broker, or contact us if you have questions.

    Stay covered

    If your policy information isn't up to date, you might not be covered if you have a claim.