Roadside Plus

Last updated: September 2019

​Be confident that you have the extra protection and peace of mind you need when you're on the road, whether you're close to home or travelling.

Our optional package offers you eight of our most popular optional insurance coverages at one low price:

  1. Loss of Use coverage

  2. Rental Vehicle coverage

  3. Vehicle Travel Protection

  4. Lock Re-Keying

  5. Emergency Roadside Expense Repayment

  6. Theft Deductible Waiver

  7. Destination Assistance

  8. Family Worldwide Transportation.

Who can buy Roadside Plus?

Anyone can buy Roadside Plus, as long as you have our Autoplan Comprehensive coverage (for most classes of passenger vehicles, and commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 5,000 kg or less, or motorhomes).

Even if you're not a B.C. resident, you're still eligible for most Roadside Plus coverages, including Loss of Use, Lock Re-Keying, Theft Deductible Waiver, Destination Assistance, and Emergency Roadside Expense Repayment.

If a vehicle is in a company name without an assigned corporate driver, certain coverages may not apply.

How we've got you covered

Loss of Use

Regardless of who's at fault, if you can't drive your vehicle as a result of a collision, comprehensive or specified perils claim, you'll be reimbursed up to $750 for the cost of renting a substitute vehicle, hiring taxis or using public transit under Roadside Plus Loss of Use.

If you need a substitute vehicle after your claim, the Roadside Plus package allows you to rent a vehicle that's comparable in size to your own. Your ICBC adjuster may specify the vehicle make and model.

Coverage for a rental vehicle is conditional on your ability to rent a vehicle. If your vehicle can't be driven, coverage starts right after the crash and ends when your vehicle's repaired or when we've made you an offer of settlement if your vehicle's a total loss. If your vehicle can be driven, coverage applies while it's getting repaired and ends when the repairs are done.

The Roadside Plus Loss of Use coverage is based on the Optional Autoplan coverages you have on your vehicle. For example, if you only had our collision coverage, you'd be entitled to loss of use in the event of a crash but not if your vehicle was vandalized or stolen. For our Loss of Use coverage to apply for those claims, you'd need our Comprehensive coverage as well.

Rental Vehicle coverage

This protects you when you're using a courtesy vehicle or a vehicle — including motorhomes, motorcycles or trailers — rented under a written rental agreement from an established rental service for a period of up to 30 days, and used for pleasure or business purposes.

Our coverage includes:

  • Third Party Liability up to $2,000,000, for damage or injury you cause to others while driving the rental or courtesy car

  • Accident Benefits — up to $300,000 for crashes that occurred on or after January 1, 2018, for medical, rehabilitation, disability, funeral and death benefits

  • Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP) — up to $1 million

  • Collision coverage with a $300 deductible and Comprehensive coverage with a $300 deductible for the rental vehicle (includes $200 deductible for any claim on windshield damage caused by missiles or flying objects)

  • Loss of Use coverage of $25 per day, to a total limit of $250, for replacement transportation if the rental vehicle is unable to be driven due to the crash

  • payment for claims made by the rental company for loss of rental income.

Keep in mind your maximum daily rental rate is $125 (Cdn) in Canada or $100 (U.S.) in the United States — except for motorhomes, trucks and campers rented as one unit, or wheelchair-accessible vehicles.

For collision or comprehensive claims, if coverage from the rental company applies in addition to the Roadside Plus Rental Vehicle coverage, we will pay the difference between the higher deductible on the rental company policy and the Roadside Plus deductible.

Who is covered

For Liability and Own Damage (Collision, Comprehensive, Specified Perils) coverage, the rental contract must be in the name of:

  • The person named on the Owner's Certificate to which the Roadside Plus package applies.

  • An "assigned corporate driver" where the insured named on the Owner's Certificate is the driver's employer, and use of the assigned vehicle is a taxable benefit for the driver under the Income Tax Act (Canada).

  • The spouse of either of these persons as long as they are shown as a renter or included as a permitted driver on the rental contract of their spouse.

Coverage also extends to any other person named as permitted driver on the rental contract.

For Accident Benefits and UMP, it covers the named insured, the assigned corporate driver, members of the household of the named insured and the assigned corporate driver and any other occupant of the rental vehicle.

What about vehicles and uses?

Our Roadside Plus Rental Vehicle coverage doesn't apply to:

  • A commercial motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 5,000 kg.

  • Snowmobiles, snow vehicles, golf carts, all-terrain vehicles, industrial machines and road-building machines.

  • A vehicle that's borrowed for any use whatsoever.

  • A vehicle that's used for carrying or delivering goods for compensation.

  • A vehicle rented exclusively for the use of non-B.C. residents.

  • A vehicle that's not licensed.

  • A bus with a seating capacity of 16 or more that's used for carrying passengers.

  • A vehicle that's used for carrying passengers for compensation or hire.

  • Any vehicle, other than a motorhome, truck and camper rented as one unit, or a wheelchair-accessible vehicle, for which the daily rental rate exceeds $125 (Cdn) in Canada or $100 (U.S.) in the United States.

  • A vehicle that's owned by the owner of a vehicle rental business, if the vehicle is used in connection with the business.

Vehicle Travel Protection coverage

If you're on a trip and you get in a crash or your vehicle's stolen, our Vehicle Travel Protection pays you back for some of the expenses. It's perfect for people who take their vehicles on holidays or business trips. You're also protected on your trip if you get involved in a crash with a motor vehicle as a cyclist or pedestrian.

Keep in mind that your trip can't be longer than 30 days.

We will cover these extra costs (as long as they were the direct result of a crash involving your vehicle or a theft of your vehicle):

  • additional living expenses up to $1,000 for one or two people, or $2,000 for three or more people (and in the case of motorhomes, $2,000 regardless of the number of people — includes lodging, meals, telephone calls and transportation expenses)

  • towing expenses of up to $100 (up to $250 for motorhomes)

  • the cost of bringing the insured vehicle back home, up to $750 (up to $1,000 for motorhomes) — includes bringing a damaged or recovered stolen vehicle back home for repairs, or sending someone to bring home a stolen vehicle that's been recovered

  • replacement vehicle expenses of up to $500 toward providing substitute transportation for the loss of use of a vehicle you've rented or borrowed. (See Loss of Use for specific coverage details)

  • travel expenses for you to return home by the most direct route, up to $3,000 for one or two people, or up to $6,000 for three or more people

  • reimbursement of your deductible for a collision claim if your vehicle's in a crash with another vehicle where the other vehicle is at fault and is an insured, identifiable vehicle and one not insured by ICBC (you're not reimbursed for damage caused by an uninsured vehicle, or in the case of a hit and run where the at-fault vehicle isn't identified).

Lock Re-Keying

We will reimburse you up to $1,000 for the cost of replacing keys and re-keying your locks if the keys or remote keyless entry transmitter are stolen — and there's no deductible.

For your coverage to apply, make sure you report the incident to the police within 48 hours. A police case file number is required. You must also carry our Comprehensive or Specified Perils coverage.

Emergency Roadside Expense Repayment

This protects you for other emergencies such as mechanical breakdowns, locking your keys in your vehicle, changing a flat tire or jump-starting a dead battery.

You'll be reimbursed up to $50 to get your vehicle running again, or to transport it to a repair facility, or for reasonable costs to complete your journey (for example, a taxi if your vehicle has been towed).

You'll need to report a claim online, or mail us an application form (available on or from your local Autoplan broker) with your original receipts. You can make your claim up to 12 months after incurring the expenses. Coverage includes the cost of the tow truck attending, but not the cost of parts or supplies including gasoline, oil, batteries and tires.

There's a limit of two claims per policy term.

Theft Deductible Waiver

We will waive the deductible under your regular Comprehensive or Specified Perils coverage if your vehicle is stolen or shows obvious signs of an attempted theft.

In order for an attempted theft claim to qualify for the deductible waiver, generally, there must be damage to one or more of the following:

  • the electrical or mechanical components of the ignition locking system, or

  • a mechanical anti-theft locking device or the part of the vehicle it's attached to.

Destination Assistance

If your vehicle can't be used for a planned trip because of a collision, theft or vandalism claim, we will reimburse up to $100 for the costs of all vehicle occupants starting or finishing the trip.

Any expenses you claim must be within the first 12 hours after the crash or within 12 hours after the discovery of the theft or vandalism loss. And you'll have to submit your original receipts to us within six months of the loss to be reimbursed. Expenses for renting a replacement vehicle are not included under Destination Assistance.

Family Worldwide Transportation

If you or a member of your household is involved in a vehicle crash in Canada or the U.S. where immediate and ongoing medical life-support is needed within 24 hours, coverage is provided for the transportation of your immediate family. This coverage provides up to $5,000 per crash to bring immediate family members to the hospital or care facility and for their return home. You're also covered up to $500 per crash for the living expenses of these family members, including lodging, meals, telephone calls or other transportation expenses. (Family members must come within seven days of the crash.)

What are "immediate family members"? This means members of your household, or a member of your or your spouse's immediate family (such as husband, wife, mother, father, sister, brother, son or daughter). Relatives will be reimbursed for travel from anywhere in the world, within the cost limits of the policy.

You might not know

Roadside Plus covers you anywhere in Canada or the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii), but not in Mexico or any other country.

You will be reimbursed promptly after you submit your claim.

Roadside Plus coverages are not transferable and only apply to the vehicle listed on the policy for which the Roadside Plus coverage has been purchased, with the exception of Travel Protection, Rental Vehicle Protection and Family Worldwide Transportation.

Your Roadside Plus policy term can be for one year or shorter and can be added at any time during your regular policy term.

More information

Renting a car? For proof of coverage, photocopy your current insurance documents (don't bring the originals), or take a photo on your phone or tablet.

If you are arranging for a vehicle before you leave, you or your travel agent should check that the company you choose accepts Roadside Plus Rental Vehicle coverage.

For more information about Roadside Plus:

  • ask your local Autoplan broker, or

  • go to

To report a claim:

  • Call Dial-a-Claim at 604-520-8222 (Lower Mainland) or 1-800-910-4222 (rest of B.C., Canada or U.S.)

  • Visit and report a claim online

If you've had a crash with no injuries, or want to report vandalism or theft from your vehicle, you can do that quickly and easily anytime online at

For general inquiries, call ICBC Customer Services at:

  • 604-661-2800 (Lower Mainland)

  • 1-800-663-3051 (rest of B.C., Canada or U.S.)

Translation services available.

Please keep all receipts for 12 months for audit purposes.

Last updated: September 2019

More topics


Last updated: September 2019