Service Alert
Service disruption updates
Over the coming weeks, we are anticipating possible service disruptions due to staff shortages related to the Omicron variant. We apologize in advance and appreciate your patience. Please check for updates before visiting an ICBC office.
Last updated Monday, Jan 17, 2022 01:22 PM


Find a Service Location

​​​Getting medical care and treatment after a crash

If you've been in a crash, you may need medical care. Enhanced Accident Benefits help you access the services you'll need to recover, no matter who is responsible (at fault) in the crash.

The care and treatment process

Here's an idea of the medical care and treatment process if you're injured in a crash.


Seeing your health care practitioner

Your support and recovery specialist will work with you and your health care practitioner(s) to help you recover from a crash. These practitioners can include your doctor, a​​s well those listed in the table below. Together they will assess your injuries and develop a treatment plan.

For the first 12 weeks after your crash, you can get treatment with the following health care practitioners for the number of treatments below:​​​​​​​

​Type of practitioner:
​Number of approved treatments:
​Standard treatment fees (treatment date between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022):
Registered massage therapist
​Clinical counsellor

In certain circumstances, an occupational therapist may be recommended to assist in your treatment plan. Talk to your support and recovery specialist to see if this is an option.​​

​These practitioners may bill ICBC directly, so you won't have to submit receipts for reimbursement or be out of pocket. Some health care practitioner fees may exceed amounts covered by ICBC — if you have other insurance coverage (for example, with your employer), it may cover the difference.

If your care provider doesn't bill ICBC directly, you can submit your receipts for review to see if they are eligible for reimbursement. If your crash occured on or after May 1, 2021, please send your receipts within 180 days of the treatment or purchase date to be eligible for consideration. If your crash occurred between April 1, 2019, and April 30, 2021, receipts for reimbursement must be submitted within 60 days of the treatment or purchase date.

If you need longer-term care

Your recovery may require additional treatment beyond 12 weeks after a crash.

If your health care provider has indicated that your treatment plan needs to be extended, they'll submit a treatment plan to your support and recovery specialist that outlines the further treatment planned and its expected benefit to your recovery. You can always discuss your treatment and recovery progress with your support and recovery specialist.