Driver licensing

Find a Service Location

​​Change your name or address

Learn how to change your name or address on a driver's licence or ID card.

Change your address

Change your address on a driver's licence or BCID

Change address 

You must change the address on your driver's licence or BCID within 10 days of moving. 

You can change your address on your driver's licence three ways-either online, by phone or in-person. The address on your BCID must be updated either over the phone or in person at a​ driver licensing office. 

Remember to change your address on your insurance policy too.



Use the B.C. government's online address change service.

If you have not received your address change sticker within two weeks, please call us or visit a driver licensing office.

By phone


Call our driver licensing information line.

Changing your address on your insurance

Visit your ICBC Autoplan broker. You'll need to go in person to sign the documents. If your policy isn't up-to-date, your insurance might not cover you in a claim.

Updating your BC Services Card or BCID when not a driver

If you want to update your address on your photo BC Services Card or BC Identification Card but are not a driver, please call us

If you have a non-photo BC Services Card and want to update your address, please call Health Insurance B.C.

Change your name

Change your name on a driver's licence, BC Services Card or BCID

If you've changed your name, you'll need to get a new licence, BC Services Card or BCID card. Updating your driver's licence when you change your name is a legal requirement in B.C.

How to change your name

Name changes must be done in-person. Book an appointment to change your name at an ICBC driver licensing office

You'll need to pay the fee for your new licence or ID, and bring proof of your name change. 

Changing your name on your BC Services Card

If you are changing your name on your BC Services Card or combined Driver's Licence/BC Services Card, the first step is to contact Health Insurance BC to make sure they have your new name on file. Once you know your name is up-to-date on their records, then visit us.

You can contact Health Insurance BC for any name change (or for issues with matching the name on your driver's licence) at (604) 683-7151 or 1 (800) 663-7100.

Proof of your name change

For changes to a Surname due to a marriage or divorce, you'll need to bring either:

  • your marriage certificate issued by a Vital Statistics agency, a religious organization or a marriage commissioner (please note the BC Marriage Commissioner's Statement of Marriage is not accepted), or,
  • your divorce certificate or decree issued by the courts that has both the married and previous names listed (document must have a court stamp/seal to be acceptable).

You may combine your birth surname with a current and/or previous married surname(s). Surnames may be combined in any order with a hyphen (-) or a space. You'll also need to bring supporting documents that show the link from your birth surname(s) to the surnames you wish to use.

For changes to a Given, Middle and/or Surname outside of marriage or divorce, please bring a legal change of name certificate issued by a Vital Statistics agency or Court order.

If your name has changed more than once

You'll need to provide all name change documents for every instance that your name has changed. We call these linking documents as they trace your birth name through to your current legal name.

Acceptable linking documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Legal name-change certificate
  • Divorce certificate that includes both your married name and your previous name
  • Court order, stamped by the court registry


Passports cannot be used to change your name or be used as a linking document.


We accept a photocopy only when it is certified (stamped) as a true copy of the original document by the government agency that issued it.

Non-English IDs

If your licence, driving record or ID are in a language other than English, they must be translated by an approved translator. Note that fees and services vary for each translator - please contact them for more information.

Change your EDL or EIC

Change your name or address on an EDL or EIC

The Enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) and Enhanced ID card (EIC) programs are being phased out, which means we are not replacing, renewing or issuing new EDLs or EICs. If the name or address on your EDL/EIC has changed, we will issue you a driver’s licence/BCID with the updated information. If the expiry date of your EDL/EIC is within the 180-day renewal window, the standard BCDL/BCID renewal fees will apply, otherwise no fee is required.

Changing gender

Changing gender

​If you are updating the gender on your B.C. driver’s licence, BCID or BC Services Card, you’ll need to book an appointment to visit an driver licensing office. As of November 1, 2018, customers who do not identify as either male or female or those whose foundation ID document does not indicate gender may request to have an "X" printed in the sex field on their card. A wallet sized card is also available to support you in conducting transactions when using your new ID. 

Before booking your appointment to visit an ICBC driver licensing office, go to the BC Services Card page first for detailed information, forms, and the quickest steps to update all of your records. Prior to your appointment, make sure you have:

If you're under 19 there are additional parent/guardian requirements.

If you currently hold an enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EIC) please note that these programs are being phased out.  This means we are not replacing, renewing or issuing new EDLs or EICs. Instead we will issue you a driver’s licence/BCID with updated gender information. If the expiry date of your EDL/EIC is within the 180-day renewal window, the standard BCDL/BCID renewal fees will apply, otherwise no fee is required