Driver training

Find a Service Location

​​​​​​​​​​Applying for a driver training school licence

To operate a driving school in B.C., you will need a driver training school licence issued by ICBC.

Steps to becoming a driving school

1. Complete the school application package​​

The first step in becoming a driving school is to complete the application package. It includes:

  • Application form
  • Instructor list
  • Vehicle list
  • Fee schedule

Complete the application package​ on-line or contact us to request the package be sent to you.

2. Obtain driver training vehicles(s)

If you are providing on-road (practical) instruction, your training vehicle must meet these driver training vehicle requirements:

Vehicle type Requirements
Class 5 (passenger vehicle)
  • Dual brake pedals
  • Dual clutch pedals (for manual transmission)
  • Rear view mirror on passenger side of vehicle
  • Student driver sign visibly displayed
  • Inspection by an inspection facility and meet safety standards
Class 6 (motorcycle)
  • Student must wear a reflective vest
Class 4
  • Student driver sign visibly displayed
  • Inspection by an inspection facility and meet safety standards
Class 1, 2 or 3 — including towed vehicles
  • Student driver sign visibly displayed
  • Inspection by an inspection facility and meet safety standards


Under the following circumstances, you are exempt from the vehicle requirements:

  • vehicles used for retraining of licensed drivers
  • a private vehicle (with modified controls) used for training people with disabilities who wish to obtain a Class 5 or 7 driver's licence — this exemption still requires that you display both a student driver sign and an "L" sign.
Learn more about different vehicle classes and types on​

3. Register your company

To operate in B.C., you need to register your school with the Registrar of Companies. You can register your company as a sole-proprietorship, limited corporation or as a partnership.

Need help registering your company? Visit these websites:

4. Get a business licence

​​Your driving school may need a business licence to operate in certain locations. Contact your local City Hall or municipal office to find out if you need one.

5. Get a security bond

As a driving school, you need to be bonded. A bond helps protect you and your students in case of a contractual disagreement.

ICBC reviews student claims and may use the bond to refund a student if you and your student are unable to resolve the issue.

Insurance bond

An insurance bond (most common type), must be issued in the registered name of the school by an insurance company.

You'll need to provide us with the original signed copy — stamped with the insurance company's seal. A photocopy is not accepted.

Other bonds

Other types of bonds include:

  • cash bond (by certified cheque), or

  • GIC, term deposit, or letter of credit from your financial institution issued in the registered name of the school. It must be the original signed copy stamped by the financial institution. A photocopy is not accepted.

The amount of your bond is based on the number of instructors and types of training conducted. Use our security bond calculator below to find out how much bonding you will need.

Security bond calculator

This tool is used to calculate the security bond amount that your driver training school must furnish to maintain with ICBC.

To use the calculator, you will need to refer to your completed Driving Training School Instructor List (MV2412B) (pdf).

(maximum $10,000)

Total required bond amount:


6. Get your driver training school licence​

When you are ready, send us:

  • your completed forms

  • driver training school bond, and

  • $100 licence fee — and $15 for each additional licence (cheque payable to ICBC).

After processing your application, we will send you your driver training school licence and you can start operating your driving school.

It can take four to six weeks to process your application.

An ICBC driving school inspector​ will also contact you to arrange a visit to your school. The inspector is there to help you and gives you an opportunity to ask questions about training, record keeping, compliance of driver training regulations and types of resources available to you.