Here you'll find key information on what treatment plans are, how they will be used and why they are being introduced.
Treatment plans are a means of documenting our customers' progress to date and the functional outcomes that they will achieve with further treatment. This information enables ICBC claim representatives to make informed benefit decisions.
Practitioners are encouraged to proactively submit treatment plans as soon as they identify that the customer will require additional care beyond the early access period or there is indication that the customer's recovery is not progressing as expected.
Treatment plans are submitted through the Health Care Provider Portal or the Health Care Provider Invoicing and Reporting (HCPIR) application. If you are submitting a treatment plan outside these channels, please refer to the manual document submission process below.
Note: A vendor number is required to access both the Health Care Provider Portal and the Health Care Provider Invoicing and Reporting (HCPIR) application.
Key points about treatment plans:
- Intended to encompass and build on information previously captured in extension requests, in a manner that ensures consistency in the collection of information to streamline communication of treatment recommendations
- Similar to extension requests, treatment plans are non-compensable as they are not a report. They are a means for health care providers to convey their plan for the patient's recovery to enable ICBC to make a funding decision
- The character limit is designed to provide enough space to capture clear and concise information but there is not a requirement to use all characters
Treatment plan objectives:
- To ensure that treatment funding decisions are fair, consistent and evidence-informed.
- To highlight functional progress made by the customer to date and the functional gains that will be achieved through the additional treatments
- To outline how additional treatment will achieve the listed recovery goals and support return to function recovery
- To help enable treatment continuity and access to the required interventions to support customer recovery
Key information required in a treatment plan:
- The functional or return to work goals that will be achieved by the plan
- The active interventions that are planned
- Other factors that may be contributing to our customers' recovery
ICBC claim representatives may contact health care providers when further information about the treatment recommendations and function-based outcomes outlined in a treatment plan is required.
Manual document submission
If you are submitting a treatment plan outside of the Health Care Provider Portal or HCPIR application, please complete the fillable treatment plan PDF and submit as per the following guidelines.
Support with fillable PDFs
Please note that a personal computer (laptop, notebook, desktop, etc.) is required to use the fillable PDF report templates. Mobile devices, including devices using iPad OS and iOS, are not supported.
To fill in and save a PDF:
Right-click the link, select “Save link as…" from the menu, and save the PDF file to your computer.
Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
Fill in the form, and review the information you've entered.
If applicable, click the “Lock" button at the top of the form. This will set the form to a “read only" state. This action cannot be undone, so ensure you've carefully reviewed the information you entered into the form before locking the PDF.
- Save the PDF document.