Find a Service Location

​​​If your crash was before May 1, 2021

This page only applies to crashes that occured before Enhanced Care came into effect on May 1, 2021.

If your crash occured on or after May 1, 2021, your claim falls under the rules of Enhanced Care​​​.​​​​​​

Injury claim settlements

If another driver involved in your crash was found responsible, you may qualify for financial compensation (commonly known as a settlement). This compensation is separate from treatments and other benefits under Basic insurance. 

Compensation may be offered, where eligible, to those who have been in a crash before May 1, 2021, and, as a result, sustained injuries and, if applicable, lost wages. The compensation amount is based on factors such as:

  • ​The extent or severity of your injuries
  • How your recovery is progressing
  • Percentage of responsibility by the other driver
If you accept the compensation offered to you, you can still access the treatments you need for your recovery, as care and recovery are serparate from compensation.

​Minor injuries

If your injury meets the definition of a minor injury, this will only impact the general damages portion of your claim settlement. General damages is the term for compensation that may cover pain and suffering and the inability to perform certain activities.   

A medical professional – not ICBC – will diagnose your injury, and this diagnosis will determine whether it is minor or not.  

For crashes that happened between April 1, 2021, and April 30, 2021, the limit is $5,672. For crashes that happened between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, the limit is $5,627.​

Minor injury determination disputes and injury settment disputes

If your crash occurred before May 1, 2021, and you want to dispute a minor injury determination or an injury settlement, start by talking to your ICBC claim representative. It's important that both of you understand all the factors involved. It's also your opportunity to point out any details that may have been overlooked or ask questions about how the minor injury determination was made. 

If you're still not satisfied after speaking with your claim representative, you can ask to speak to their manager who will review the circumstances of your claim.​

The Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) is available to address certain disputes between customers and ICBC, including minor injury determination disputes and settlement offer disputes (up to $50,000). 

The CRT is independent of ICBC and can solve some disputes without involving legal representation. Find out more about filing a dispute and how the CRT may be able to help. ​​

Related links