Replace lost or stolen EDL or EIC
If your enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EIC) is lost or stolen, call the EDL Customer Line immediately at 1-866-972-6888.
How to replace your EDL or EIC
To replace your EDL or EIC, you need to book an in-person appointment.
What to bring to your appointment
- your original Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship document,and
- one other piece of acceptable ID.
For details, see pages 3-9 of Your Guide to B.C.'s Enhanced Driver's Licence Program.
When replacing an EDL or EIC, a passport is not accepted as proof of Canadian citizenship.
Found your card?
If you find your EDL or EIC after reporting it missing, you:
- can't use the card to cross the border
- can still use your EDL to drive, and
- should book an appointment to reapply for a replacement licence or ID as soon as possible.
Important: If you try to use your EDL or EIC at the U.S. border while its status on our records is lost or stolen, it will be confiscated. You could also encounter problems if you're pulled over by the police in B.C.
Interim driver's licence
We'll issue you an interim driver's licence while you're waiting for your new EDL to arrive by mail. The interim driver's licence can't be used for cross-border travel into the U.S.