Vehicle registration

Find a Service Location

  • Print this page

Modified vehicles

Do you own a passenger or commercial vehicle that's been modified? If it qualifies, it can be registered as a modified vehicle. Then you can get plates and insurance for it and put it on the road.

What's a modified vehicle?

For registration purposes, a modified vehicle means a motor vehicle of a manufacturer's make

  • whose body, chassis, power train or steering and braking components have been altered by somebody so that the vehicle resembles, but is no longer identical to, the original vehicle, and
  • whose gross vehicle weight is 5,000 kilograms or less.

How do I apply to have my vehicle registered as modified?

  1. Gather together and photocopy your receipts, bills of sale or invoices for the major components of the vehicle.
  2. Obtain a "passed" vehicle inspection report from a designated inspection facility. To find one near you, see the list of inspection facilities posted on the B.C. government's Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement website.
  3. Find out the market value of your motor vehicle.
  4. Locate an original manufacturer's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the vehicle. The VIN must be clearly visible for sighting by an enforcement officer at the roadside. (A VIN that can only be seen by, for example, crawling under the vehicle to inspect a frame rail is not an acceptable "public" VIN.) If you can't find an original manufacturers' VIN, please fill out an Application for a B.C. Assigned VIN. The fee to apply for a B.C. Assigned VIN is $25, payable by cheque or money order to ICBC.
  5. Fill out an Application to Register a Modified Vehicle.
  6. Take the completed application(s) and related documents to an Autoplan broker, or mail them to:

ICBC Vehicle Registration Support
235 - 151 W. Esplanade
North Vancouver, B.C.   V7M 3H9

More information

Modified vehicles

  • 604-661-6638 (We accept collect calls.)

Licensing or insuring modified vehicles

  • 604-661-6890 or 1-800-665-8262