Road safety

Staying safe during wildfires

Every year wildfires affect people and communities across British Columbia. We're here to help you and your loved ones stay safe.

Be prepared

Pack your essentials in a grab-and-go kit and create an emergency plan for your household in advance. If you need to prepare for a possible evacuation, locate and pack important documents to avoid having to replace them if they get lost or damaged.

Important documents may include:

  • Identification such as your B.C. driver's licence, B.C. identification card, B.C. Services Card, passport, and original copies of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, and Canadian citizenship documentation.

  • A copy of your vehicle registration, licence and Autoplan insurance documents.

  • Other documents such as a copy of your home insurance policy and banking/financial information—or anything you may not be able to access remotely or online.

Don’t store valuables in your vehicle as these are not covered by vehicle insurance if damaged or stolen.


Replacing identification

If a wildfire forces you to evacuate and you lose your B.C. driver's licence or other B.C. identification, ICBC can issue a free replacement without the need to present additional identification documents (some exceptions may apply). Visit your nearest ICBC driver licensing office or call 1-800-950-1498.

Driving tips

Check before travelling for the latest road conditions and for information about areas under evacuation alerts and orders.

Avoid driving in areas with evacuation orders or alerts. Be prepared and plan alternate routes in case the road you want to use is closed.

Insurance coverage for wildfires

Vehicle damaged caused by wildfires is covered under optional comprehensive or specified perils coverage and we will do all we can to help you access your coverage to repair or replace your vehicle. Because Basic insurance does not cover damage from wildfires, we recommend talking to your broker about these optional coverages.

If you don’t have comprehensive or specified perils and you live in an area susceptible to wildfires, you can purchase either optional coverage before an evacuation alert or order to evacuate, once the order/alert is lifted, or once your vehicle is out of the evacuation area.

If you have comprehensive or specified perils coverage that expired within the past seven days or that is about to expire when an evacuation alert/order is made, in most cases you will still be able to renew your coverage. You may be able to renew online or by phone or email with your broker.

If your vehicle is uninsured and you’re placed on an evacuation alert or ordered to evacuate, you may be able to purchase a Temporary Operation Permit to move your vehicle to safety.

For more information, please contact your Autoplan broker.

Report a claim

If you need to report wildfire damage, you can report a claim online or by phone at 1-800-910-4222.

Quick links