Frequently asked questions



You have until midnight on the expiry date to renew.

It depends on where you are. If you're in B.C., find the nearest Autoplan broker to have the documents replaced.

If you're outside B.C., you'll need to:

Call us before faxing a completed form to ICBC:

  • 1-800-328-4484 (Canada and the U.S.)

  • 1-604-661-6956 (Other countries)

Your vehicle may need to be rated in a delivery rate class, depending on what else you use the vehicle for and how often you use the vehicle for delivery. We want to make sure you're covered so talk to your broker about how you plan to use the vehicle. They’ll help make sure you have the right insurance.

You don’t need to own a vehicle to start building an insurance discount. Insurance premiums are based on a combination of factors, including driving experience, crash history, where you live and how you use your car, as these are all factors that make up your risk. Find out more about what determines your cost of insurance.

No. There are situations when you can insure a vehicle without a valid driver's licence. For example, you might own and insure a vehicle but depend on others to drive it. For more information, speak to an Autoplan broker.

If you’re a learner, you can insure a car with a learner’s licence. Crashes caused during the learner stage will not go on your driving record; however the learner premium will apply to help cover the risk that learner drivers represent.

If a learner will be driving your car, you will need to list them on your policy and the learner premium will apply. The learner premium ranges from $130 to $230 per year, depending on where you live.

Find out more about the learner premium.

Call our Autoplan Sales department at 1-800-328-4484 (toll-free) or 1-604-661-6956 ​(lower mainland) ​from Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

If your vehicle is still in B.C., call an Autoplan brok​​er.​ If you are in Canada or the United States, you may be able to renew online​.

Sorry, we're not able to temporarily suspend your current insurance. However, a few options may be available to meet your changing needs. Speak to your Autoplan broker about:

  • buying a Storage Policy if you're not using your vehicle or intend to put it in storage,

  • reducing your coverage to a minimum, or

  • getting a short-term policy lasting between three and 11 months.

If you cancel your policy before it expires, you can be eligible for a refund. Find out more about cancelling your insurance.

You will need a minimum of a Class 4 (restricted) commercial driver’s licence issued in B.C.

Find out more about insurance and licensing requirements for ride-hailing.

Peer-to-peer car sharing allows car owners to make their vehicles available for others to rent via an online platform.

How you are insured will depend on whether the peer-to-peer company has ICBC blanket insurance or not. Peer-to-peer rental companies are not required to have ICBC blanket insurance, so you should enquire with them directly to find out if they have it.

Find out more about insurance for peer-to-peer vehicle rental.