Vehicle registration

Register a vehicle in B.C.

Before you can get licence plates and insurance for a vehicle in British Columbia and operate it on a highway, the vehicle must be registered with ICBC. Registering serves as the official record of your vehicle. It also identifies you as its owner.​

How do I register a vehicle?

The steps you take and documents you need vary, depending in part on where the vehicle is currently registered.

​For more information about vehicle registration, please speak to your Autoplan broker.

​If …


​you buy a vehicle that's already registered to another person or company in B.C. 

​go to your local Autoplan broker to complete the transfer of ownership and update the registration, then license and insure it.

​you're bringing a vehicle to B.C. from another province or territory

​before the vehicle can be registered in B.C., in most cases you'll need:

•  the vehicle's current registration

•  the Certificate of Title if your vehicle is from Nova Scotia

•  a "passed" vehicle inspection report from a designated inspection facility in B.C.

•  required ID, and

•  a signed and dated bill of sale, if the vehicle is not registered in your name. (Sometimes a vehicle registration document, signed by the registered owner of the vehicle and naming you as the new owner, is acceptable instead.)

To register, license and insure the vehicle, bring these documents to an Autoplan broker. For more details, please refer to the Checklist for Out-of-Province Vehicle Registration pdf

​you're bringing a vehicle to B.C. from Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba

under the New West Partnership Trade Agreement, qualified privately-owned or leased vehicles imported from Alberta,  Saskatchewan or Manitoba may be exempt from the BC pre-registration safety inspection.

The vehicle owner must be:

•  a new or returning to B.C. resident, and

•  the same owner(s) in the previous jurisdiction making the application for registration in B.C.

The vehicle must have:

•  been registered in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba immediately prior to being imported to B.C. and

•  privately owned or leased by an individual(s) and not a company.

Any of the following vehicle must be 3,500 kg or less:

•  passenger vehicle

•  commercial vehicle or

•  motorhome 

The model year of the vehicle must be either:

•  four years old (current year inclusive) or less; for example in 2018, vehicle model released in 2018 (year 1), 2017 (year 2), 2016 (year 3), 2015 (year 4), or

•  five years old or more and must have passed a provincial vehicle safety inspection in the previous jurisdiction within the last 90 days.

Vehicles not eligible for this exemption

•  Vehicles with a salvage, rebuilt, or altered status on the Interprovincial Record Exchange or supporting documents

•  Vehicles owned or leased by a company or organization.

Please ask your Autoplan broker for details.

Acceptable Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba inspection reports:

•  Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba inspection report in place of the Private Vehicle Inspection Report (CVSE0013)

Only the following mechanical safety inspection reports are acceptable for imported Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba vehicles that are five years old or more:

•  Alberta out-of-province Vehicle Inspection Certificate

•  Saskatchewan Light Vehicle Inspection Certificate

•  Manitoba Certificate of Inspection

The acceptable Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba inspection report must:

•  be an original

•  confirm that the vehicle passed the inspection, and

•  have been issued in the last 90 days.

​​​​​​Documents not acceptable as proof of inspection for Alberta vehicles:

•  an Alberta Automobile Insurance Motor Vehicle Inspection Report

•  an Alberta Motor Vehicle Record of Inspection

•  an Alberta Mechanical Fitness Assessment

​you are bringing a vehicle to B.C. from outside of Canada

​you can register, license and insure it at an Autoplan broker, after you've imported the vehicle.

When is vehicle registration not needed?

The B.C. Motor Vehicle Act allows for the following exemptions.


​Then registration isn't required…

​out-of-province motor vehicles and utility trailers are used for touring purposes

​for up to six months.

out-of-province ​​motor vehicles and utility trailers (except for commercial vehicles) are used for non-touring purposes.

​for 30 days.

​you are a student or member of the armed forces

​but you must obtain an exemption permit.


Model year of the vehicle

Please note that the vehicle model must be no more than four years old, current year inclusive (for example, in 2019, a vehicle model released in 2019, 2018, 2017, or 2016). If it is more than four years old, it must have passed a provincial safety inspection in the previous jurisdiction within the last 90 days.

Quick links