Vehicle registration

"Ubilt" vehicles and trailers

Ubilt vehicles and trailers can be licensed and insured if they meet B.C. registration requirements.

Registration requirements for your ubilt vehicle or trailer

To qualify for registration, the vehicle must meet the equipment standards set out in B.C.'s Motor Vehicle Act Regulations. It must also have:

Original support documents for component parts

To register your ubilt vehicles and trailers, you must provide original support documents for each major component part. Typical support documents include a bill of sale, manufacturer's statement of origin or a vehicle registration document.

If acceptable support documents for all major component parts are not available, a notarized Unregistered Vehicles and Missing Signatures Declaration (MV1484) will be required. Ensure that the statutory declaration includes a description of all major components and if available, a VIN or Serial number for each component.

Note: a statutory declaration should be viewed as a last resort.

Summary of major components for ubilt vehicles and trailers


  • ​Frame

  • Cab

  • Truck bed/box

  • Front clip

  • Rear clip

  • Unibody

  • Engine

  • Transmission

  • Rear axle

  • Seats and interior

  • Tires and rims

  • Doors, hood, trunk lid and glass

  • Suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, heater, and air conditioning

  • Frame

  • Engine

  • Transmission

  • ​Frame

  • Axles

  • Decking

  • Tires and rims

  • Hitch

  • Tongue

Note: Used trailer frames previously registered and written off as "non-repairable" or "dismantle status" cannot be us​ed to build a new trailer.​​​

​​Ubilt trailer less than 1,400 kilograms

Most ubilt trailers weighing less than 1,400 kilograms don't require a B.C.-assigned VIN or a vehicle inspection. However, we do recommend getting a VIN so the trailer can be identified by police in the event it is stolen.

Apply at any Autoplan broker

To apply and register your vehicle or trailer, take all of your documentation to any Autoplan broker. ​Download a Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T) and complete it using Acrobat Reader or pick up a copy from an Autoplan broker. Please note that all four pages must be complete and original signatures are still required

If all registration requirements are met, your broker can issue the licence plates and insurance.

For more information

Contact Vehicle Registration Support

Lower Mainland: 604-661-6638
Elsewhere in B.C., Canada and the U.S.: 1-844-904-8212
Fax: 604-443-7341

Mailing address

ICBC - Vehicle Registration Support
Room 235-151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, B.C.   V7M 3H9