Vehicle registration

Vintage vehicles

Do you own a piece of history? Why not show your antique vehicle off at special events and parades? Vintage licence plates allow you to do just that.​

Does my vehicle qualify?

Your vehicle must be

  • at least 30 years old,

  • maintained as close as possible to its original condition with original parts,

  • restored to a condition that conforms as nearly as possible to the original manufacturer's specifications,

  • owned as a collector's item and

  • mechanically sound.

How do I get vintage plates?

  1. Fill out the antique vehicle licence application pdf. Forms are also available from Autoplan brokers.

  2. Photograph your vehicle, following the instructions on the form.

  3. Take the completed application and photos to an Autoplan broker.

We'll review your application and determine whether your vehicle qualifies. This usually takes about three weeks. Once approved, the plates will be mailed to you.

Driving restrictions

Special occasions only

Vehicles with vintage plates may only be used for special occasions for example; exhibitions, parades, car club activities, community events, weddings and graduations. Everyday pleasure driving is not permitted.

No business use or test driving

An antique vehicle may not be used for business or commercial purposes. The vintage plates can't be used for licensing purposes when test driving an antique vehicle. For test driving, the seller should buy a Temporary Operation Permit, which is vehicle operation permit purchased to provide insurance and licensing for 15 days or less.

Driving at night

If your vehicle doesn't have the lights and reflectors required by the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, you may not drive it between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.

Insuring your antique vehicle

You can protect your vintage car investment by buying ICBC optional insurance: Collision, Comprehensive or Specified Perils. Because the use of a vintage vehicle is restricted, you'll probably pay less for these coverages.

Need more information?

​​​Talk to your broker or contact us ​toll-free at 1-800​-663-3051 or 604-661-2800.