Service Alert
Wildfire information
We're here to help. We have expedited processes and a checklist in place to help wildfire evacuees with their claims or driver licensing needs. Learn more.
Last updated Tuesday, Aug 03, 2021 09:14 AM

Driver licensing

Find a Service Location

​Accepted ID

To help protect your identity and privacy, you need to show accepted ID when you attend an appointment at our driver licensing offices. Please double-check that you're bringing the right ID before coming in—it could save you an extra trip or other delays.

Confirm what ID to bring

Answer a few quick questions online to make sure you bring the right ID:

Confirm my required ID

Accepted ID

You'll need to bring two pieces of ID: one primary, one secondary.

Additional ID requirements


Each identification document must be an original, or a true copy of the original, certified by the issuing government agency.

Non-English documents

If your licence, driving record and ID are in a language other than English, they have to be translated by an ICBC-approved translator. The fees and services vary for each translator-please contact them for more information.

Name changes

If your name has changed (or is different from the name shown on your ID) you must provide proof of this.

If you don't have the right ID

If you were born outside Canada and don't have the required primary ID, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada at 1-888-242-2100. Otherwise, please contact us.​

Your full legal name

When you first become our customer we will take your full legal name and date of birth from what we call a foundation document. A foundation document is a type of identification that establishes or changes your full legal name and date of birth.

For changes to a surname due to a marriage or divorce, you'll also need to bring supporting documents that show the link from your birth surname to the surname(s) you wish to use.

Foundation documents

  • If you're born in Canada - Your legal name is the full name that appears on your birth certificate issued by a Canadian Vital Statistics agency.
  • If you're born outside of Canada - Your legal name is the full name that appears on your most recent immigration document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • If there's a mistake in your foundation document – You must get this corrected by the issuing government agency. We will only use the exact full legal name on your foundation document(s).

Protect yourself from fraud

When you first apply for a driver's licence, you'll be asked to provide ICBC with a security keyword. To protect yourself from fraud, keep your keyword secure like you would a password and don't share it with anyone outside of ICBC, including a driving school.

Choosing or changing your keyword

Choose a keyword you can remember easily but cannot be guessed by someone else. The keyword can include characters, numbers, symbols, spaces and punctuation. You can change your key word by booking an appointment to visit an ICBC driver licensing office. Make sure you bring two pieces of identification (one primary, one secondary) with you. Your keyword is not acceptable as primary or secondary identification.

Reset your ICBC keyword by calling our driver licensing information line​.

Using your keyword when booking a road test

If you're booking your road test online, you'll need to enter your security keyword exactly as it's spelled; however, it is not case-sensitive so you can enter it using upper-case letters, lower-case letters or both.

If a driving school is booking a road test on your behalf, do not provide your security keyword. Driving schools do not require this keyword for any reason.