Driver licensing

Commercial and air brake training

In most cases, you'll need some professional driver training to become a commercial driver. It'll help you pass your tests and learn the skills you need to be ​safe and confident on the road.


Mandatory Entry-Level Training​​​

​If you intend to beco​me a Class 1 licensed commercial driver, you may need to complete B.C.'s new Class 1 MELT course​.​​​​

Check out the MELT FAQs​​ ​for more information.

Benefits of commercial driver training

Professional driver training can help you

  • learn how to operate a commercial vehicle safely

  • practice parking, driving in traffic and other maneuvers in a controlled, low-risk way, and

  • prepare for your pre-trip inspection and road test.

Where to take commercial driver training

Training is available at qualified B.C. driving schools and colleges. Some carriers also provide in-house training to their employees.

Air brake endorsements and training

To operate a vehicle equipped with air brakes on a highway (public road), you need a B.C. driver's licence with an air brake endorsement.

How to get an air brake endorsement

To get an "on-highway" air brake endorsement you must

  • be 16 or older

  • complete an air brake training course

  • pass a knowledge test, and

  • pass a pre-trip inspection test.


Have air brake experience?

In some cases, drivers with a lot of air brake experience, or mechanical trade qualifications, may not have to take an air brake course.

Air brake courses

Two types of air brake courses are available in B.C.: Driver-Certification and Standard.

Driver-certification air brake course

A certification course includes

  • seven hours of classroom theory, plus

  • four hours of training on pre-trip air brake inspections.

If you pass this course, you do not have to take the ICBC air brake pre-trip inspection test.

Standard air brake course

A standard course includes seven hours of classroom theory on air brake systems.

Training locations

Air brake courses are offered by

  • driving schools

  • community colleges, and 

  • companies that train their own employees.