Driver licensing

Enhanced Road Assessments

As part of the process of determining a person's medical fitness to drive, RoadSafetyBC may require a driver to complete a road test re-examination. For Class 5 and 7 drivers, this is called an Enhanced Road Assessment (ERA).

You'll receive a letter from RoadSafetyBC if an ERA is required, and you'll have to complete your assessment within the timeframe specified in your letter.

ICBC driver examiners administer the ERAs on behalf of RoadSafetyBC. There is no fee charged for the assessment.

Why am I being asked to complete an ERA?

The most common reasons why a driver might be asked to complete an ERA are:

  • A doctor reports a medical condition that may affect their fitness or ability to drive safely

  • Results of a previous on-road assessment suggest a follow-up is necessary

  • A collision report, police report or other report indicates they may be unable or unsure how to handle a common driving situation

Who does this assessment apply to?

Class 5 and 7 drivers (drivers with their full or novice licence) with a medical condition that may affect the motor, cognitive or sensory functions required for driving may be asked by RoadSafetyBC to complete the ERA in order to maintain their current licence. 

Referrals to the ERA are not made on the basis of a driver's age; drivers of any age may be asked to complete an ERA.

What to expect

The ERA appointment will take approximately 90 minutes. The assessment consists of a pre-trip vehicle orientation, 45-minute on-road drive with a feedback component half-way through, and a post-trip review. The assessment is conducted in a passenger vehicle provided by the driver. 

For more information, see the Enhanced Road Assessment information on the B.C. Government's website.

What if I don't want to take the ERA?

If you don't comply with the ERA, your existing driver's licence will be cancelled and no longer valid. It is a legal requirement to complete the ERA if you wish to continue driving.

You may also choose to retire from driving instead of taking the ERA. You can exchange your driver's licence for a free British Columbia Identification Card (BCID). This can be done by booking an appointment to visit an ICBC driver licensing office.

What happens after?

ICBC will forward your results to RoadSafetyBC, where they will be reviewed along with all other relevant information in your file to make a licensing decision.

If there were any traffic violations, dangerous actions, or other safety concerns during your ERA, you will be issued a learner’s driver’s licence while your file is reviewed by RoadSafetyBC. This means you will need a licensed supervisor in the vehicle when you drive. Please ensure you bring a licensed companion to your ERA appointment in the event you are issued a learner’s licence.

For more information, see the Enhanced Road Assessment​ information on the B.C. Government's website, or call RoadSafetyBC toll-free at 1-855-387-7747.

Book your appointment

If you've received a letter to complete an Enhanc​ed Road Assessment, call ICBC (Monday to Friday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) at:

  • Toll-​free: 1-800-950-1498

  • Greater Victoria: 250-978-8300