Driver licensing

Retiring or turning in a licence

If you decide that retiring your driver's licence is the right choice for you, we're here to help with this transition. Retiring your licence is quick and easy.

How to retire your licence

To retire your driver's licence:

Exchanging your licence for a free BCID

You can exchange your driver's licence for a free B.C. Identification card (BCID) at any driver licensing office. That way you'll still have a piece of secure, legal ID.

Here's what you need to know before visiting a driver licensing office.

BC Services card

The BC Services card is also a free, acceptable piece of government photo identification. You can use it in situations where you would have used your licence.

Parking placards for people with disabilities

If you have a disabled parking placard, you can use it in any vehicle. The same privileges will still apply as long as you're with the driver.

When someone has passed away

If you've lost a loved one, please be aware that their driver's licence, identification card, or BC Services card should be cancelled.

When you’re ready, bring the death certificate or a photocopy of it along with the driver’s licence to an ICBC driver licensing office, or send them by mail.

Mailing address

ICBC Licensing Unit
PO Box 3750
Victoria, BC V8W 3Y5