Autoplan Insurance

Moving to, from or within B.C.

Moving to B.C.

90 days to switch to BC DL

You have 90 days to switch to a B.C. driver's licence.

30 days to register, licence, and insure

You have 30* days to register, license and insure your veh​icle after arriving in B.C.

Y​ou will need to provide proof of your driving experience (proof of insurance is not required for new B.C. residents).​

When you have the documents you need, book an appointment to visit an ICBC driver licensing office to apply for your B.C. licence and have your driving experience updated in our records. 

*Commercial vehicles must be registered/licensed/insured immediately.

Learn ​more about importing a vehicle into B.C. 

Moving within B.C.

Your Autoplan insurance policy must always show your current home address and vehicle use. If your policy isn't up-to-date, you might not be covered if you have a claim.  

Visit any Autoplan​ broker​ to change your home address on your insurance. 

Moving from B.C.

When you make a permanent move from B.C., your B.C. driver’s licence will remain valid for 90 days, enabling you a transitionary period to obtain a driver’s licence in your new jurisdiction.

Contact an insurance agent or the motor vehicle authority in the place you're moving to. Some places require you to register, license and insure your vehicle as soon as you arrive there.

Some places may also require your driving records. You can easily apply for your driving records online. Once you've completed the application, you'll receive an email with the reports free of charge.

Before you leave B.C., go to an Autoplan broker to update your insurance.

Temporarily relocating

If you're temporarily relocating to study or work (or any other reason), you probably need to update your insurance. Talk to an Autoplan broker, or contact us if you have questions.


Stayed covered

If your policy information isn't up-to-date, you might not be covered if you have a claim.