Autoplan Insurance

Insurance for new and returning residents

If you’re new to B.C. or are returning after living outside of the province, here’s what you need to know about getting insurance.

For new residents

We require proof of your years of driving experience – how long you’ve held a full driver’s licence.

Driving experience is one of the main factors we look at when determining your insurance premiums. You’ll earn better Basic insurance discounts for each year of driving experience you have. We credit up to 15 years of non-B.C. driving experience. 

To prove your driving experience we’ll need a driver’s abstract or letter of experience from the licensing authority that issued your first non-learner driver’s licence. This is also required in order to obtain your full B.C. driver’s licence. Find out what you need to prove your driving experience.

Once you’ve submitted proof of your driving experience, your details will be updated in our system and can be used by your Autoplan broker to help determine your premiums.

For returning residents

If you’re returning to B.C. and got your first driver’s licence here, we already have a record of your driving experience. Just book an appointment to renew or update your licence with your new B.C. address at an ICBC driver licensing office.​