Book a knowledge test and other driver licensing services
As the COVID-19 pandemic has developed, we’ve had to change the way in-person visits to our driver licensing offices work to support the health and safety of everybody.
We need to minimize the number of people in our driver licensing offices at any one time. So you’ll need to book an appointment for knowledge tests and licence renewals / replacements, along with most other driver licensing services.
Want to minimize your time at the driver licensing office?
Save time by booking the correct type of appointment. Just answer these 3 questions:
1. Do you want to book a road test?
If so, you need to book your road test online here.
2. Can your service be completed online or by phone?
Some services are not currently available by appointment. Please try to complete these services online or by phone: paying a ticket, proving your driving experience, accessing your driving record, or changing your address.
3. Do you know your nearest driver licensing location?
Use our locator tool to see what type of location is closest to you:
- Service BC centre: Book an appointment with Service BC's booking tool.
- Appointed agent: Many smaller communities are served by an appointed agent (typically an Autoplan broker). Contact them directly to ask about in-person appointments.
- ICBC driver licensing office: Just follow the easy instructions below.
How to book an appointment at an ICBC driver licensing office
We’ve sorted our in-person appointment services into 4 groups - A, B, C and D.
Just identify the service you need below, click the link to the app to book a location, date and time. We'll try to serve you as close to your selected time as possible.
A : Renewal or replacement of an existing BC licence or ID, and new ID applications (10 min)
Book a 10 minute appointment for one of the following:
For all other licence or ID service appointments, please scroll down to D: All other in-person licensing services.
B : Single knowledge test for a new or expired learner’s licence (45 min)
Book a single 45 minute appointment to take one of the following knowledge tests:
Please note that if your learner's licence has expired, you'll need to re-take and pass the knowledge test.
C : Combination knowledge test for a new or expired learner’s licence (75 min)
Book a combination 75 minute appointment to take one of the following pairs of knowledge tests:
What you’ll need for your appointment
We’ll send you specific instructions in a confirmation email and two reminder emails. In the meantime, here are some important things you need to be aware of:
- Expiry dates: Book your appointment within the recommended period ahead of any expiry dates.
- Licence classes and types: Find out
which licence is right for you.
- Accepted ID: Find out
what types of ID we accept.
- Fees: Find out
what the fees are for your service.
- Check-in times: For A & D appointments, you'll need to arrive 10 minutes ahead of your appointment time. For B & C appointments, you'll need to arrive 15 minutes ahead of your appointment time. Make sure you consider this when booking.
- Social distancing: All of our driver licencing office counters are located at least 2 metres apart and feature plexiglass shields.
Unable to book an appointment?
If you're unable to book an appointment in time for an expiration or deadline, you can consider visiting a driver licensing office in person. However, this should always be treated as a last resort.
If you do need to visit without an appointment, please be aware that:
- Due to physical distancing guidelines, we are limiting the number of customers in our offices.
- You should come as early in the day as possible, since time for non-appointment services is limited.
- We'll do our best to serve you, but priority will be given to customers with a booked appointment.
- Knowledge tests are only available by appointment.