Find a Service Location

​​​Preparing for wildfires

May 10, 2023

We're here to support British Columbians facing the threat of wildfires. We're monitoring the wildfire situation in our province closely and we're ready to assist impacted customers and communities.

If you live in an area near or​​ prone to wildfires, we're sharing important information on insurance, safety tips, and essential documents and items to pack in case of evacuation to help you prepare.

Make a plan

Pack your essentials into a grab-and-go kit and create an emergency plan for your household. If you're preparing for a possible evacuation, locate and pack important documents to avoid having to replace them if they get damaged. These documents may include:

  • Identification such as your B.C. driver's licence, B.C. identification card, B.C. Services Card, passport, and original copies of your birth certificate, marriage certificate and Canadian citizenship documentation.

  • A copy of your vehicle registration, licence and Autoplan insurance documents.

  • Other documents such as a copy of your home insurance policy and banking/financial information—or anything you may not be able to access remotely or online.

Insurance coverage

Basic ICBC auto insurance doesn't cover damage from wildfires. We suggest purchasing optional comprehensive or specified perils coverages from ICBC or a private insurer so you have peace of mind knowing your vehicle is protected.

If your community is placed on evacuation alert or ordered to evacuate, you won't be able to purchase ne​w comprehensive or specified perils coverage until the alerts or orders have been lifted. However, you can still buy coverages to move your vehicle to safety including Basic auto insurance and optional collision coverages, or a temporary operating permit with Basic coverage and extended third party liability.

For more information about insurance coverage and restrictions for residents in affected areas, please contact your Autoplan broker.

Replacement identification

If a wildfire forces you to evacuate and you lose your B.C. driver's licence, BC Services Card, or other B.C. identification, ICBC can issue free replacement identification without the need to present additional identification documents (some exceptions may apply).

Visit your nearest ICBC driver licensing office to get replacement identification. You can find office hours and locations here. If you're unable to visit a driver licensing office, we'll try to assist you by phone at 1-800-950-1498. We're available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

​Reporting a claim

If you need to report an auto insurance claim related to wildfire damage, you can do so online or by phone at 1-800-910-4222. Our claims team is available 24/7 to support you.​