If you are not responsible

If you’re not responsible (not at fault) for a crash, your Enhanced Accident Benefits will cover medical care and recovery costs or wage loss due to injury, whether you are in B.C. or anywhere else in Canada or the United States. And if you're not responsible for a crash in B.C., your own Basic Vehicle Damage coverage will pay your vehicle repairs, up to $200,000.

What your Basic insurance covers

Medical costs

Enhanced Accident Benefits are available to all B.C. residents injured in a crash, no matter who is responsible.

Enhanced Accident Benefits provides access to all the medical care and recovery you need if injured in a crash, with no overall limit to the coverage available. Treatments can include physiotherapy, chiropractic care, registered massage therapy, clinical counselling and kinesiology. Your Enhanced Accident Benefits also cover things like dental care, alternative therapy, and home support after an injury if needed.

Income replacement

If you’re unable to work due to an injury from a crash, you’ll receive 90 per cent of your net income in wage loss benefits, up to a maximum of $109,000 gross annual income.

If you earn more than $109,000 per year, Income Top-Up coverage​ is available to top up​ the amount of income replacement provided under Enhanced Accident Benefits

Damage to your vehicle

If you’re not responsible for a crash in B.C., your own Basic Vehicle Damage coverage will cover your repair costs, up to $200,000.

Your claim will not impact your insurance premiums because you weren’t responsible for the crash.​​

Damage to persona​l property

You may be able to claim reimbursement for damage to personal property involved in a crash, such as vehicle contents. Cyclists and pedestrians involved in a crash with a vehicle may be able to claim reimbursement for items carried, worn, or used at the time of the crash, including bicycles, scooters, clothing, mobility devices and helmets. Speak with your claims representative to find out more.​​

What Optional insurance covers

Collision coverage helps pay for your vehicle repairs, towing, storage and more, even if you were responsible for the crash. If you have Collision coverage, you are also covered for vehicle damage caused by a hit and run.

B.C. residents and non-residents who own a B.C. registered vehicle also have the option to purchase Hit and Run coverage. This coverage is for customers without Collision coverage but who still want protection from vehicle damage caused by a hit and run. If you do not have Optional Collision or Hit and Run coverage, you’ll be responsible for all vehicle repair costs in a hit and run​.

Talk to an Autoplan broker to choose the optional products that provides the best level of protection for yourself, your family and your vehicle.

If you have coverage with another insurer, please contact that company regarding your coverage.

What if the responsible driver isn’t insured by ICBC?

If you are a B.C. resident injured in a crash, Enhanced Accident Benefits are available to you, whether you were a driver, passenger, cyclist, or pedestrian.

If you’re not responsible and the crash was in B.C., your own Basic Vehicle Damage coverage will cover your vehicle ​repair costs, up to $200,000, and the cost of alternate transportation while your vehicle is being repaired. Instead of recovering the cost of your vehicle repairs from the insurance policy of the driver responsible, your own insurance will cover you.

Crashes outside B.C.​

If your crash happened somewhere else in Canada or the United States, you are still covered by Enhanced Accident Benefits in the case of injury.

Your Basic Vehicle Damage coverage does not cover damage caused by crashes outside of B.C. You may want to consider ​optional Collision ​coverage to protect you when driving outside the province, regardless of fault.

Visitors driving in B.C.

If you're driving in B.C. and you're involved in a crash, the insurance coverage on your own vehicle (or rental) will be required to pay for any vehicle damage, even if the crash wasn't your fault. You cannot make a vehicle damage claim against the responsible driver's insurance. Talk to your insurance broker or car rental provider to make sure you have the coverage you need when driving in B.C.