Shared or undetermined responsibility

You can be found 25, 50 or 75 per cent responsible for a crash. If you’re found partially responsible (at fault), this means you will share responsibility with the other driver.

When responsibility is shared equally

Sometimes it’s not possible to determine who is responsible for a crash due to:

  • Conflicting drivers' statements

  • No independent witnesses or witness statements that are vague, contradictory or otherwise insufficient

  • Inconclusive evidence, such as vehicle damage or the police report

When responsibility can’t be determined, both drivers could share equal responsibility (50 per cent each) ​for the crash. See How we assess responsibility for a crash.

What your Basic insurance covers

Medical costs

Enhanced Accident Benefits are available to all B.C. residents injured in a crash, no matter who is responsible.

Enhanced Accident Benefits are here to support you in accessing all the medical and rehabilitation care available to you if you’re injured in a crash, with no overall limit to the coverage available. Treatments can include physiotherapy, chiropractic care, registered massage therapy, clinical counselling and kinesiology. Your Accident Benefits also cover things like dental care, alternative therapy, and home support if needed after an injury.

Income replacement

If you’re unable to work due to an injury from a crash, you can receive 90 per cent of your net income in wage loss benefits, up to a maximum of $113,000 gross annual income.

If you earn more than $113,000 per year, Income Top-Up coverage​ is available to cover the amount of income replacement provided from the Enhanced Care benefit.​

Damage to your vehicle

If you’re partially responsible for a crash, your own Basic Vehicle Damage coverage will cover the non-responsible portion of your repair costs, up to $200,000. If you have optional Collision coverage, it will pay for the percentage you are responsible for.

Damage to persona​​l property

You may be able to claim reimbursement for a portion of damage to personal property involved in a crash, such as vehicle contents. Cyclists and pedestrians involved in a crash with a vehicle may be able to claim partial reimbursement for items carried, worn, or used at the time of the crash, including bicycles, scooters, clothing, mobility devices and helmets. Speak with your claims representative to find out more.​

Third Party Liability

Third Party Liability coverage under your Basic insurance provides you coverage up to $200,000 for the following situations:

  • Non vehicle property damage​​​

  • ​​Injury costs and vehicle damage that you cause to the other driver(s) and/or passengers while driving outside of B.C. in jurisdictions where the law permits the other driver to sue

  • Damage to the contents inside of the other driver’s vehicle

What Optional insurance covers

Damage to your vehicle (if you have Collision coverage)

If you have Collision coverage it will pay for the percentage you are responsible for. Your Basic Vehicle Damage coverage will pay for the percentage you are not responsible for, up to $200,000.

You will have to pay a deductible (the amount you have to pay toward repairs before your insurance pays the rest). However, a portion of your deductible may be reimbursed or waived, depending on the percentage of responsibility of the other driver and if they are insured by ICBC.

If you don't have Collision coverage, from ICBC or another insurance provider, you are responsible for the percentage of the repairs that reflects your responsibility for the crash. For example, if you are 50 per cent responsible, you will need to pay 50 per cent of the repair costs.

How your insurance is affected

If you are more than 25 per cent responsible for a crash, your Basic insurance premiums will likely go up the next time you renew or purchase insurance, unless you have a long, claim-free record. It may also impact any premiums where you are a listed driver. The costs for any Optional insurance you have (Collision, for example) may go up as well. In general, the more crashes you are responsible for, the more you will pay in insurance.

For an accurate estimate of how your premiums may be affected​, you will need to be within six weeks of your insurance renewal, which is when you receive your renewal reminder. For general information about impacts to your premiums, you can talk to an Autoplan broker.

Repaying a claim

You may be in a crash that doesn't involve injuries or costly vehicle damage. If you are partially responsible, it might make financial sense to repay the cost of your claim to ICBC so it won't affect your future premiums.

Talk to your Autoplan broker for more information.

What if someone else was driving my car?

If someone else drives your car and causes a crash, the crash will affect the driver’s record, not yours.

Disagree with the responsibility assessment?

If you disagree with your responsibility assessment, talk to your claims representative about your options. Find out more about responsibility assessment disputes.

Quick links