Fire and weather damage claims

​If your car has been damaged by fire or weather, here's what to do.

Am I covered?

You are covered if you have ICBC Comprehensive or Specified Perils insurance.

When you report a claim, your claims representative will confirm your coverage and next steps, either on the phone or in writing.

Note: Some claims may take longer for coverage to be confirmed. Please keep your receipts to be reimbursed for any out-of-pocket claim costs later.​

Steps of your fire or weather damage claim

Here's what to do and what to expect when you make your claim.

Step 1: Get police and fire reports

If the police and fire departments attended, there will be report file numbers from both emergency services departments. Be sure to have the file numbers handy before reporting your claim.

If neither the police nor the fire department attend, your claim adjuster will complete a fire report for the Office of the Fire Commissioner.

Step 2: Report your claim online or by phone

Report your fire or weather damage claim online or by phone.

Our staff will handle your claim for you and direct you to an ICBC Repair Network facility for your repairs if applicable.

Step 3: Speak with your claims representative

Your claims representative will take your statement, including whether you notified your local fire department and whether an incident number was assigned.

Step 4: Get an estimate of the damage

An estimator examines the damage to your vehicle, then writes up an estimate of the repairs needed. Find out more about Getting a damage estimate.

Once a damage estimate has been completed, you may have your car fixed at the repair shop of your choice. The process will vary depending on whether you select an ICBC Repair Network facility or another repair shop.

If your vehicle is not repairable​

If it is not economical to repair your vehicle (referred to as a ​total loss or write-off), we pay you an amount based on its value at the time of the incident. Find out more about ​write-offs.​

Step 5: Pay your deductible

For fire claims, you need to pay the Comprehensive or Specified Perils deductible. This is the amount you have to pay toward repairs or costs before your insurance pays for the rest.