Service Alert
Rebate cheques will be sent to eligible customers starting March 15, 2021. Find out more.
Last updated Friday, Feb 26, 2021 02:06 PM


Find a Service Location

​Getting legal advice

If you've been injured in a crash, you may be wondering whether you can or should get a lawyer to help you with your claim, especially given recent changes to ICBC insurance.

Whether or not you retain a lawyer is entirely your choice. However, there are options that can help you resolve disputes without the need for legal representation.

The Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT)

The Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) is an independent dispute resolution service focussed on helping parties reach an agreement wherever possible. The CRT can look into disputes between customers and ICBC on matters such as minor injury determination, settlement offers, benefit entitlements and responsibility (fault) assessments.

Some cases reviewed by the CRT may be referred to the Supreme Court for judicial review.

Find out more about filing a dispute or visit the CRT's website.

The right to hire a lawyer

Anyone in B.C. can hire a lawyer for legal advice or to represent them in their claim – recent changes to insurance have not changed this fundamental right. The decision to hire a lawyer is yours, and may depend on factors such as time, cost and the complexity of your claim.

Related links