Your injury benefits

Enhanced Accident Benefits are available to all B.C. residents injured in a crash, no matter who is responsible (at fault).

Enhanced Accident Benefits are here to support you in accessing all the medical and rehabilitation care available to you. And, if you're unable to work due to an injury from a crash, you may have access to income replacement benefits.

These benefits are available to all British Columbians. Whether you're a driver, passenger, pedestrian or cyclist, you'll be covered if you're injured in a crash.​ ​​For a detailed look at the care and recovery benefits available, check out Your guide to Enhanced Accident Benefits pdf.

​After a crash

Your ICBC claims representative will explain the benefits that are available to you based on information provided by you and your healthcare team. Treatment covered by Enhanced Accident Benefits must be for injuries directly related to the crash and must be necessary for your rehabilitation and recovery. ICBC staff will work with you, your doctor and your health care providers to help you access the services and recovery benefits you need.​


Get approved treatment

You do not have to wait for a support and recovery specialist to contact you before getting treatment under Enhanced Accident Benefits. For the first 12 weeks after your crash, you can go for treatment with certain types of health care practitioners without the need for a doctor’s referral. Just make sure you have your ICBC claim number when getting treatment.

Learn more about getting treatment after a crash​.

Medical care

Enhanced Accident Benefits are here to support you in accessing all the medical and rehabilitation care available to you. This could include:

  • Treatments such as physiotherapy, chiropractic, and massage therapy

  • Support and services such as occupational therapy, counselling, and dental care

  • Medication and medical devices or equipment

  • Travel and accommodation expenses when you need to travel for medical or rehabilitation appointments

Find out more about getting medical care after a crash.

ICBC may reimburse reasonable and necessary personal care expenses, such as home cleaning services, if you need assistance with the responsibilities of daily life. If you've been severely injured, ICBC may pay for reasonable and necessary changes to your home, such as a ramp, lift, or bathroom alterations.

Inc​ome re​placement benefits

Under Enhanced Care, if you're injured in a crash and can't work, Enhanced Accident Benefits can provide income replacement of up to 90 per cent of your net income, less any amounts payable from other sources, up to a maximum of $109,000 gross income. If your injuries are life-altering and prevent you from going back to work, you'll be supported with care and income replacement for as long as you need them. If you're receiving income replacement benefits and reach retirement age, a retirement income benefit will be available.

If you earn above the $109,000 benefit limit, you can buy additional optional coverage to top up the amount of wage loss replacement provided.

If you're a minor injured in a crash and can't attend school, you may receive a loss of studies benefit for each school year you can't complete.

If you're a family caregiver and your injury prevents you from fulfilling your regular caregiving duties, a weekly benefit is available that increases depending on how many people you care for.

​ICBC income replacement benefits are paid after any other wage loss benefits you might have. You'll need to apply for those benefits first and then your ICBC income replacement benefit calculation will take them into account.

Quick links