Find a Service Location

If you are responsible for a crash

Even if you're found 100% responsible (at fault) for a crash, your ICBC Basic insurance will pay for your medical and rehabilitation expenses. Your Basic coverage will also pay for damages owed to other parties affected by the crash, up to $200,000.

If you have additional or optional coverage, this would cover costs over and above your Basic insurance limits. Collision coverage, if you have it, pays for your vehicle repairs.

What your Basic insurance covers

If your crash is prior to April 1, 2019

Talk to your claim representative. Changes to insurance come into effect on April 1, 2019, which may affect your coverage.

Medical costs

Under ICBC Basic insurance, Accident Benefits are available to anybody in B.C. who is injured in a motor vehicle crash, no matter who is responsible.

Accident Benefits pay for your medical care and recovery costs up to $300,000. Treatments can include physiotherapy, chiropractic care, occupational therapy, registered massage therapy, clinical counselling, psychological services, kinesiology and acupuncture. Accident Benefits also cover things like dental care, alternative therapy, and home support if needed after an injury.

Wage loss

If you’re unable to work due to an injury from a crash, your Accident Benefits (under ICBC Basic insurance) will provide wage loss payments of up to $740 per week.

Damages owed to another party, up to $200,000

If another party makes a claim against you, the Third Party Liability coverage in your Basic insurance will provide coverage up to $200,000. This includes injury costs, wage loss and vehicle damage sustained by the other driver(s) and/or passengers.

What your Optional insurance covers

You may be covered for the following if you purchased optional insurance coverage:

Damage to your vehicle (if you have Collision coverage)

If you have Collision coverage, it will pay for damage to your vehicle even if you are 100% responsible for the crash. It also covers the costs of towing, storage and salvage disposal.

You will have to pay a deductible - the amount you have to pay toward repairs before your insurance pays for the rest.

If you don't have Collision coverage, from ICBC or another insurance provider, you're not covered for these costs if you’re found responsible for a crash. You will need to pay 100% of the vehicle repairs.

Damages owed beyond $200,000 (if you have Extended Third Party Liability coverage)

If you have Extended Third Party Liability coverage, this will pay for damages owed to another party that exceed $200,000, up to the limit you purchased. 

For example, if the crash was serious and the vehicle repairs, wage loss and/or injury treatment costs of the other driver and their passengers total more than $200,000 (the amount covered by your ICBC Basic insurance), this coverage will protect you from being liable for these costs.

How your insurance is affected

Changes to Basic insurance premiums

To get the car insurance system back on track and better for B.C., we’re making changes to it.

One of the biggest ways we can improve B.C.’s car insurance is to change the way premiums are set, including how your claim history impacts your premiums. Find out more about the changes.

If you are responsible for a crash, your Basic insurance premiums will likely go up unless you have a long, claim-free record. The costs for any Optional insurance you have (Collision, for example) may go up as well. In general, the more crashes you are responsible for, the more in insurance you will likely have to pay in future.

Talk to your ICBC Autoplan broker for more information.

Repaying a claim

You may be in a crash that doesn't involve injuries or costly vehicle damage. If you are responsible for the incurred damages, it might make financial sense to repay the cost of your claim to ICBC so it won't affect your future premium. For more information on what options are right for you, please contact your ICBC Autoplan broker or contact us for more information. 

As of September 1, 2019, Claim Centres will not accept claim repayments. To make a claim repayment, you can visit your ICBC Autoplan broker or call Insurance Customer Service at 604-661-2800 or 1-800-663-3051.

What if someone else was driving my car?

Currently, if someone else drives your car and causes a crash, the crash affects your claim history. However, as part of a number of changes to how we determine insurance premiums, in future the crash would affect the driver’s record, not yours. This change will take effect from September 2019.

Find out more about how we’re changing auto insurance in B.C.

Disagree with the responsibility assessment?

If you disagree with your responsibility assessment, you can file a dispute.